This stir fry is a go-to weeknight meal. It is balanced, takes less than 30 minutes, is easy to customize, and requires simple, healthy ingredients! It was a hit in my family.
Beef Sirloin Veggie Stir Fry
- 2 (7 oz) packages Udon noodles
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz sirloin filet, sliced thinly
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms
- 8 oz broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced into disks
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (or dried)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle ground black pepper
Begin heating large pot of water for noodles.
As your water heats, chop carrots and broccoli florets. Place in a microwaveable bowl with enough water to cover the vegetables. Cook in microwave on high for 5 minutes.
While your water is heating and your vegetables softening, thinly slice your sirloin into small pieces and set aside.
During this time, prepare the sauce. Combine in a small mixing bowl soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and peppers. Mix well and set aside.
Serve and enjoy! Recipe inspired by Damn Delicious (click for original recipe).
In reflection, I would only have used 1 package of the udon noodles to increase the vegetable and protein ratio – my family and I agreed this recipe was too noodle-heavy for our liking. However, using two packs helps this meal go a little farther if you have more mouths to feed, or want lots of leftovers for the week!
1) Pick your protein: Sirloin, chicken, shrimp, salmon, tofu, lamb
2) Pick your veggies: broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, snap peas, zucchini, summer squash, onion, cauliflower, bok choy, bamboo shoots, mini corns, bean sprouts or anything you want to use up in your refrigerator!
3) Pick your carb: udon noodles (wheat pasta), wild rice, bed of lettuce, quinoa, couscous, veggie noodles, etc.
The possible combination swaps for this recipe are endless which is what makes this recipe so versatile for the busy-bee generation! Here are some of my favorite themed combinations:
Vegetarian: Swap tofu for beef, add garbanzo beans, and snap peas! Top with peanuts or cashews
Summer-fresh: Swap chicken for beef, add zucchini, bok choy, and summer squash
Seafood swap: Shrimp, broccoli, mushroom, and onion
When you try this recipe, what veggie combination will you use? What is your favorite protein, veggie, carb combo?
Love you, mean it, ciao <3